Thursday, April 29, 2010

stART - Eency Weency Spider

A story + Art = A great stART!
For this week's stART project we read Eency Weency Spider. It is super cute...there are 10 spiders trying to get up the water spout...and (I don't want to ruin the ending...but...) it rains and they all get washed out...but the eency weency spider climbs up... It's great for counting practice.

While I was at my friend Dawn's house earlier this week, I noticed a very cute (and practical) project that she had done with her daughter...it was an umbrella with numbers and stickers on it (for counting)... I thought Ryleigh would like to do the project...and since our story had rain...that is how they are [loosely] tied together...

First Ryleigh painted with watercolors on the umbrella....

After the paint had dried, we put the numbers and stickers on the umbrella....
Our finished umbrella...

For more great stART projects check out A Mommy's Adventures!

13 comments:

Fun Frugal Mommy said...

What a great art/math activity. : )

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

OOOH, I like that umbrella!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This umbrella looks so colorful, and I liked how you added a math component to the book.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Those touchy, button books like that are always a hit. What a beautiful counting craft!

Anonymous said...

Wow! How pretty! I will have to do this with Red Ted soon, he is just starting to get interested in counting. Wonderful - simple but effective!

Erica said...

What a great way to integrate art and math! I love it! I'll have to file it away.

Unknown said...

The umbrella came out so well.It really looks like it has been rained on.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Great counting practice! I love cutting out those early finger paintings into shapes.

Unknown said...

We just did a number coded coloring activity! Great way to add counting to the mix! lovely colorful umbrella.

Michelle said...

I love this project, it really did come out great!! Emily loves those button books too. Thanks for linking up to stART :0)

JavaMama said...

How cute! Painting, stickers, learning colors AND numbers. Amazing.

Anonymous said...

oo very cool project! I love that you used water colors! I think we will have to do this craft soon :-)

Ticia said...

That is way super cute! I love the combination.