Thursday, March 3, 2011

School Daze ... Rr is for Rainbows...and Ryleigh...

This week in both classes we celebrated Dr. Seuss's Birthday...by making a fun craft, reading some Dr. Seuss Books...and... eating cupcakes...

In Tot School Beginnings I switched over the sensory bin for more of a St. Patrick's Day theme... I think I am going to re-vamp it again for next week... I kind of ran out of time this week so I didn't get a chance to make it what I actually wanted it to be... They also built with big blocks, played playdough, made an art project by using rollers to paint, and did parachute (with bubbles)...

New in Braeden's world this week: His vocabulary is exploding....also he is getting more teeth - he has had the 7 for the longest time but now is getting 10 all at once...

Braeden with some of his friends at the sensory tub... he is getting much better about not throwing the rice... its still pretty frequent... but I see progress...Playing Playdough... he made his friend a "cupcake"...
The kids painting... for a full explanation of this project- check out my stART post...
The TOTS enjoying the cupcakes (I made them minis) in honor of Dr. Seuss....
After preschool one afternoon the girls were playing with a miniature dollhouse...then Braeden got up from his nap...and I thought it was going to be mass chaos...but he played right along with them... I truly envisioned the doll house being picked up and thrown....
Our stART project this week Ryleigh's finished hat has 4 stripes and Braeden's has 3....
In Preschool this week for Calendar time we did the letter Rr, number 15, sight words "can" and "some", reviewed our Spanish colors and numbers (we are learning the Spanish numbers 1-20), and started learning the US States in alphabetical order... so far we are up to Connecticut..
We also worked on telling time to the hour, our Letter of the Week Craft, and I Spy bottles...I have included some highlights from our week:

The girls all ate lunch together after Music class before school started... they had a very giggly time...
Working on her alpha book...
The girls enjoyed doing Roll a Rainbow and a Color by Number Rainbow from Confessions of a Homeschooler...
Completing the rainbow...
Color by number is always a hit...
Ryleigh working on telling time...she caught right on to the nearest hour...
The girls had fun with our new oil pastels and created a color wheel...it was very cute to see their expressions when they made new colors...
One of my favorite blogs is Counting Coconuts... recently she put up a tutorial of how to make homemade I Spy Bottles... so very helpful. I have made 3....so far...I used some of the rice from last months sensory bin...test tube like bottles from A.C.Moore and alphabet beads (each bottle has a different type)... I then hot glued the tops on... These were a huge hit... I made an ABC sheet to go with them, so they could cross off the letters as they found them. The picture isn't great...but you get the idea...
Ryleigh had the rainbow bead bottle....here she is crossing off the letters as she finds them...
Ryleigh enjoying a cupcake...for Dr. Suess...
For our Letter of the Week Craft we did "r" is for rainbow! To make this I made an "r" template...and then cut it down for each color....
The finished "r" is for rainbow!

To see what others did this week check out Tot School at 1+1+1=1; Preschool Corner at Homeschool Creations; and the Weekly Wrap-up at Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.
To see more Rr activities check out The Attached Mama.

14 comments:

JavaMama said...

Love that rainbow R!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I LOVE the r rainbows - I think I'll do that with my youngest tomorrow!

Our Little Bubble said...

love your ideas! I will definitely be back, we have 3 little boys and a mom that's running out of ideas for kids crafts and activities. good job to you!!

Christa

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful week!! I love the R rainbow!!

Unknown said...

Those I Spy Bottles are SO much fun! (We used to bring our homemade one with us in the van to keep the kids busy.) So much fun getting together with other preschoolers!

Jessy

jess_hak said...

What a lovely Rainbow r! AND, I love the Cat in the Hat craft. I bookmarked it for next year!

Anonymous said...

Seems like everyone is doing rainbows!! My older girl is really into them right now too. Everything has to be rainbow colors. =p Looks like a really fun week. I like those I Spy tubes too. Thanks for the link.

Phyllis said...

Sounds like a busy week! I love the r rainbows, too.

Stefanie said...

Love that rainbow r. I'll have to remember that for our ABC book when we get to r. Fun week!

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

So sweet! And that rainbow is precious!

Elle Belles Bows said...

Love the r for rainbow craft! Very creative!! Kerri

Theprincessandthetot said...

Cute rainbow! I also like how you used the test tubes for your I Spy jars! Awesome week!

Annette said...

Wow, I learned so many great ideas here! Just as everyone has mentioned, I like the "r" for rainbow idea too--in addition to the "I spy" tubes. My little guy is starting to be at the age where he is getting interested in letters and numbers, so these will be great activities to encorporate. Thank you!

Liz said...

Looks like a fun week! I love your sensory tub! I want to make one but just haven't gotten enough themed materials for it yet! Great idea to use the cupcake cups with play dough, never thought os that. The r is for rainbow activity is great! I Spy bottles/tubes are the best! I haven't made one for my daughter yet but I used to have a couple in my classroom and the kids LOVED them!!!