Thursday, September 8, 2011

Home Depot... I so love you... and your free sensory tools...

We are currently renovating our school room (basement)... so... we have been in Home Depot frequently as of late... and as we were wondering around the flooring section.. I noticed all sorts of fun samples... that literally said the word FREE on them! ... Right away I think of all the great projects and activities I can do with them...so... I totally stocked up!!!

They have everything from carpet, tile, wood and out door carpet samples to counter-top and paint colors... (I have used the Mickey Mouse Paint Colors many times)
Ryleigh and Braeden both took a little while to explore the different textures in their baskets (which I purchased at Wegmans.... and you know how I feel about Wegmans (LOVE IT) )
We compared smooth and rough (bumpy); hard and soft; dark and light; heavy and light, etc.
We used some of the bumpy vinyl tiles to do some crayon rubbings.... both kids loved this... (then branched off into regular coloring...)
Look what else is completely free ... Mickey Mouse Paint Colors... seriously... Home Depot is like the best store ever!!!! We used these for matching and color recognition for Braeden and Colors in Spanish for Ryleigh...

To see what others did this week check out Tot School at 1+1+1=1; Preschool Corner at Homeschool Creations; Mom 2 lil Posh Divas ; Weekly Wrap-up at Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers and ABC and 123.

For more fun science projects go check out Adventures in Mommydom..... (I am counting the hard vs. soft, heavy vs. light... as science ;-)

6 comments:

Abbie @ lovinourchaos said...

Love Home Depot and Lowes!! I made a really cool collage from the free paint chips. One of these days I will show it on my blog! ;-)

jellybelly said...

Your kids are so cute! Really focused on their "work" :) Visiting from Friday Bloghop!

The Twerp and I

Ticia said...

I've certainly counted things like this as science, and especially at that age it really is.

So, here's the thing I struggle with on the whole paint chip and free sample thing. I know it costs them money to get these, and I don't want to just grab large quantities if I'm not actually using it for their intended purpose. So I struggle with what's the balance on that one.

Dianne said...

This looks like so much fun! I'll have to check for free samples next time I'm at one of those stores.

AP Mommy said...

That's so awesome! I need to stop by our Home Depot and see what they have for us. ;) Great idea to use this stuff.

Aimee said...

I would of never of guessed to use those FREE items for a sensory bin! Thanks for sharing this idea w/ us on The Sunday Showcase!